By Reliv International & Reliv Europe.
There are many ways to help prevent cognitive decline and keep your mind and body in top shape.
Movers and Shakers
Research has shown a combination of activities and lifestyle choices may keep the brain healthy. Here are some ways to keep your mind agile and your memory resilient:
- Participate in recreational activities like chess, book clubs and discussion groups that encourage conversation and interaction.
- Implement activities that require planning and forethought like gardening and scrapbooking.
- Challenge yourself to complete common activities in reverse order or with the opposite hand (i.e. brushing teeth, getting dressed).
- Keep low-impact aerobic activities like dancing, cycling and swimming as part of your routine.
Don’t Forget to Remember
Recent studies have shown a strong correlation between vascular health and the influence of an active lifestyle. There are also activities that have been proven to increase memory retention. Give these a try and see if you experience improved memory capacity:
- Stay mentally active by working puzzles, learning to play a musical instrument or taking alternate routes when driving.
- Socialise regularly with loved ones and friends or by volunteering with people of various ages.
- Keep your appointments, tasks and other events organised in a single place or notebook.
- Focus on one task at a time and give it your full attention.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Make regular check-ups at your doctor a part of your routine, particularly if you are managing chronic conditions.
You’re only as old as you feel, so treat your body well and remember to laugh and play. Surround yourself with young friends (especially the young at heart) and don’t be afraid to act like a kid. When you reconnect with your younger self, you’ll think and feel your best!